Hong Kong District
Cisco Innovation Challenge
Make a better world with technology and innovation
Grasp this never seen great opportunity, and come up with your creative IoT solution to change the world!
IoT technology is expected to ease some of the world's most serious problems.
By 2020, 50 billion objects will be connected to the Internet, creating 1.5 million jobs in the IoT area.
Through "competition to promote learning, education and application”, provide secondary school students with the ability to apply scientific and technological knowledge to solve real-life challenges.
The key goal of the challenge is to help students to build the key skills needed to become an innovator who can:
ACT LIKE A SOCIAL
THINK LIKE AN
CIC Special Features
- Provide professional training and customized IoT course materials developed by Cisco to teachers and students at no cost.
- Adopt IoT as the foundation to resolve real-life issues. Empower the students to become key members in the global village.
- Participating teams will submit their STEM/IoT solutions by virtue of own development pace. Content of submission include: written proposals, demonstration video clips, and group presentations.
- Upon being shortlisted for Phase 2, Cisco, Telstra and Hong Kong Broadband Network will provide mentorship for 2 months to assist each team with technical advice.
- Student will gain first hand advice on STEM's influence in various career paths
- Winning teams will be enrolled in various eye-opening career-related programs through Cisco’s global network.
Innovation Challenge Theme (2019/20): Internet of Things and Sustainable Earth
The team is free to choose one of the following topics and design innovative solutions to specific problems:
- Reducing inequality
- Creating a sustainable city and community
- Support for Climate Action
Teams consisting of an instructor and 3-4 student should submit a 2-page concept note and 3-min Youtube Video for Phase 1 & a working IoT prototype for Phase 2
Participants must be registered secondary school student between the age of 13 to 16 (born between 2003 to 2006)
- Trophies, prizes and cash prizes
- School Participation Award &Excellent Teacher Award
- Mentorship (upon qualify into Phase 2)
- Invited to communicate aboard and experience the actual operation of IOT
- Arranged for networking opportunities at Cisco or other companies
Award for Creativity
Award for Presentation
CIC Time-line :
- 23th Oct 2019 : Briefing Session
- 6, 7, 8th Nov 2019 : Teachers training (Link)
- 22nd Nov 2019, 11:59pm Submission of Application (Link), Student Start Learning Compulsory NetAcad course(s)
Due to the social situation, the registration deadline will be extened to 29 November 2019.
- Nov - Dec 2019 Industry Information Sessions, Students Training
Cisco Webex Seminar on 16/12/2019 - Review Link (dSYJZbH4)
Cisco Webex Seminar on 18/12/2019 - Review Link (2SkUPJ22)
13th Jan 2020, 5pm Submission of Phase 1 Concept Notes Concept Notes & Submission link (Link)
Phase 1 Submission_How to show students finished Ch 1 quiz (Link)
29th Jan 2020 Announcement of Shortlisted Phase 2 Teams, Mentoring Kick-off, Student Start Learning Compulsory NetAcad course(s)
- 13th Feb 2020, Time：4:00pm ~ 5:30pm Mentorship Programme kick off Session Address：ELCHK Lutheran Secondary School (Yau Ma Tei Waterloo Road)
- 24th Apr 2020, 5pm Submission of Phase 2 Concept Notes Concept Notes & Submission link
- 9th May 2020 Showcase of Solutions of Phase 2, Finals and Award Presentation